I love subtle holiday decor, I’ve never been a fan of the huge extravagant Christmas displays in the front yard, complete with 12 reindeer, a sleigh, and an inflatable snowman. However if that is your cup of tea, go for it, it’s Christmas and it only comes once a year! I do live in a 700 sq. ft. apartment which makes decorating a bit more difficult, we don’t have a ton of extra room and we don’t have a yard for decorations either.
Here’s my plan for decorating my home minimally this year, to save money and space, and still get into the holiday spirit!
- I’m planning to carve a pumpkin with my husband. Put a tealight candle inside it, and stick it outside my door so trick-or-treaters know they are welcome!
- A fall wreath for the door.
- Babyboos (you know those cute little tiny pumpkins, that’s what they’re called) on the windowsills.
- If we aren’t too exhausted after carving the first one, maybe a second jack-o-lantern for our balcony.
- A small artificial tree.
- Tree skirt (or perhaps a cozy blanket that we already have).
- Matching set of ornaments.
- White lights.
- Fresh pine wreath for our door.
- White lights wrapped around the rails of our balcony.
Oh and of course, CANDLES! The perfect fall/winter decor that’s small and functional.
Fellow minimalists, how are you planning to decorate your home this holiday season? I’d love to hear your ideas!